Maths at Bolsover's Virtual School
How do we teach Maths virtually to those pupils working at home?
While learning at home, our pupils attending the Virtual School will continue with their learning sequence that they would be being taught in school with live, or pre-recorded, teaching inputs delivered daily to pupils.
As we do in school, we will continue to use the Power Maths resource to support teaching inputs and resources - independent activities (that would normally be found in the pupils' Practice Books) will be posted on their Class Dojo portfolios for them to complete. Further information about Power Maths can be found here.
For further information about how to support your child with concrete resources at home, check out this section of our school website here.
How do we assess your child's progression in their knowledge, skills and vocabulary?
- Children's work is marked and feedback is given on their answers and standard of their work before a new lesson is taught.
- Misconceptions are addressed and children are given the chance to access a smaller group, or even one to one to help, through break out rooms with a teacher or teaching assistant on Zoom. This will aim to address their specific needs and understanding.
- Vocabulary is shared inline with Power Maths and is shared at the beginning of a topic and re-enforced throughout teaching.
- Children are completing end of unit checks and pre assessment checks of the next topic to continue to inform teaching and progression of skills.
Due to the potential need for working remotely at home during this academic year (due to pupils individually or a class/year-group bubble needing to self-isolate) we have amended our Maths subject policy with the following addendum to outline how subjects are adapted and monitored while teaching and learning takes place virtually and at home: Maths Curriculum Policy Addendum.
Please find some helpful hints documents for supporting your children at home:
Additional Online Resources:
Additional online maths resources are also used to supplement and enhance learning, including Times Table Rock Stars and Maths Whizz. Further information about these, and how to login, can be found below.
* White Rose Maths Parent Booklets - White Rose Maths have produced a range of work booklets for parents and children that cover all the primary maths curriculum. These booklets can be found on Amazon for the Kindle or downloaded here at: https://whiterosemaths.com/parent-workbooks/
* I See Maths - a range of support videos and lessons linked to different areas of maths. There are links on this page to all of the home learning tasks for Y5 and Y6. Y3 and Y4 can be accessed through there too.
Times Tables Rock Stars
Times Table Rock Stars is available to pupils at Bolsover Church of England Junior School from Year 3 to Year 6.
Aim: When it comes to times tables, speed AND accuracy are important – the more facts your child remembers, the easier it is for them to do harder calculations. Times Table Rock Stars is a fun and challenging programme designed to help students master the times tables!
To be a Times Table Rock Star you need to answer any multiplication fact up to 12×12 in less than 3 seconds!
It is a fun, interactive way to support our pupils in learning their times tables. This format has very successfully boosted times tables recall speed for hundreds of thousands of pupils over the last 8 years in over 14,000 schools – both primary and secondary – worldwide.
Maths is a big subject and we appreciate there’s more to it than times tables and there’s more to times tables than learning them off by heart. However, a lot of the rich, interesting maths is all about the multiplicative relationships and these are hard to fully grasp without fluent recall of the tables. For that reason, learning the tables is fundamental – they are a key facilitator to the maths that sits on top. Therefore it is important to ensure our pupils are secure in their times table recall by the end of Year 4.
Click the following to sign in to your TT Rock Stars Accounts:
Maths-Whizz is an online tutor in maths that caters to your child’s unique ability – helping them reach their true potential and preparing them for success in school.
Maths-Whizz uses ‘Maths Age’, just like ‘reading age’. The aim it to see your child’s Maths Age to go up.
Experience has shown that children who use Maths-Whizz for at least 60 minutes a week improve their Maths Age by, on average, 18 months in the space of just one year. There is a direct correlation between the amount of time spent on Maths Whizz the the improvement in their maths skills in school.
Click the image to jump to the log in page for Maths Whizz. (The children all have their log in details - if they have been misplaced please send a message via Dojo to their teacher and they will send them to you)
Click the following to find out some more information about Maths Whizz and the benefits of using it. PARENT LETTER