- A thematic topic approach that is flexible and adaptable to the meet the needs of our individual pupils alongside the discreet teaching of reading, writing, grammar, spelling and maths.
- Planned opportunities to teach and revisit key skills, knowledge and understanding in order to secure learning and ensure progress.
- An approach which allows for feedback to be provided at the point of learning.
- Memorable experiences to hook and engage our pupils into their learning.
- Thematic topic lessons which begin with a “big start” and end with a “big finish”
- Quality key texts that promote the use and development of rich vocabulary.
- Develop oracy skills through a range of exciting speaking and listening opportunities and challenges.
- Opportunities to develop pupils social and emotional skills
- High quality support and (wherever possible) same day intervention to meet identified needs including pre and post teaching.
- A strong community approach with pupils at the very heart.
Through the teaching of our curriculum, we aim for every child to grow and flourish and leave Bolsover with a strong sense of well-being as well as the knowledge, skills and understanding to help shape the society in which they will live.
Despite school closure in 2020, our curriculum continues to be broad, balanced and include the essential knowledge, understanding and skills whilst at the same time working to recover missed learning that is essential for our pupils to progress. As a consequence, we have developed policies and practices, including a blended learning approach to ensure standards both in and out of school remain high and that learning time is maximized. The intentions of the curriculum are deeply rooted within the work of the school where approaches are adapted to meet the changing demands in society whilst ensuring we serve our children and community with a bespoke core.
Updated: September 2020
Our curriculum is designed using the Cornerstones curriculum which is broken down into the following areas:
More information can be found out about this here.
Please find below our Whole School Curriculum Map below, that covers all aspects of the Key Stage 2 National Curriculum 2014, and scroll down to see the topics we cover in each year group.
(Updated: October 2020)
Gods and Mortals
Pharaohs & Mummies
The Bess of Hardwick
Bolsover Blossom and Bloom
Burps, Bottoms & Bile
I Am Warrior!
Road Trip U.S.A
Traders & Raiders
The Frozen Kingdom
|Autumn 1||Autumn 2||Spring 1||Spring 2||Summer 1||Summer 2|
|Year 3||Tribal Tales||Terrible Tremors||Predator||Gods & Mortals||Flow|
|Year 4||Burps, Bottoms & Bile||I Am Warrior||Road Trip U.S.A||Blue Abyss||Traders and Raiders||Powerful Potions|
|Year 5||Scream Machine||Pharaohs vs Mummies||Stargazers||Alchemy Island||Bolsover Blossom and Bloom|
The Frozen Kingdom
For further information about our school's curriculum, please refer to the individual subject pages under the curriculum tab on our school website.
Alternatively, if you have any further queries, please contact Mr Backhouse (Deputy Headteacher) at school on 01246 822324, or via email, at email@example.com.