When planning our curriculum, at the very forefront, is the absolute desire to excite and challenge all pupils whilst providing them with the essential knowledge, understanding and skills necessary for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences they will undoubtedly face in life beyond Bolsover. Underpinning this is our school’s vision. We value every child and every moment and therefore our curriculum is designed to ensure that our pupils can be the best that they can be by providing them with the building blocks of what they need to know and be able to do to succeed.
Our curriculum allows for pupils to experience life in all its fullness - it goes beyond Bolsover and helps them to develop a good understanding of their role in society and the world in which they live recognising and appreciating the past, present and future.
Our curriculum is delivered through:
- A thematic topic approach that is flexible and adaptable to the meet the needs of our individual pupils alongside the discreet teaching of reading, writing, grammar, spelling and maths.
- Planned opportunities to teach and revisit key skills, knowledge and understanding in order to secure learning and ensure progress.
- An approach which allows for feedback to be provided at the point of learning.
- Memorable experiences to hook and engage our pupils into their learning.
- Thematic topic lessons which begin with a “big start” and end with a “big finish”
- Quality key texts that promote the use and development of rich vocabulary.
- Opportunities to develop oracy skills through a range of exciting speaking and listening challenges.
- Opportunities to develop pupils social and emotional skills
- High quality support and (wherever possible) same day intervention to meet identified needs including pre and post teaching.
- A strong community approach with pupils at the very heart.
Through the teaching of our curriculum, we aim for every child to grow and flourish and leave Bolsover with a strong sense of well-being as well as the knowledge, skills and understanding to help shape the society in which they will live.
Our curriculum is designed using the Cornerstones curriculum which is broken down into the following areas.
More information can be found out about this here.
Long Term Curriculum Overviews
Heroes vs Villains
Peasants, Princes and Pestilence
Off With Her Head!
Pharaohs & Mummies
How does your garden grow?
Burps, Bottoms & Bile
I Am Warrior!
Road Trip: U.S.A
The Frozen Kingdom!
|Autumn 1||Autumn 2||Spring 1||Spring 2||Summer 1||Summer 2|
|Year 3||Tribal Tales||Scrumdiddlyumptious||Tremors||Heroes vs Villains||Flow||Mighty Metals|
|Year 4||Burps, Bottoms & Bile||I Am Warrior!||Blue Abyss||Road Trip U.S.A||Misty Mountains||Powerful Potions|
|Year 5||Peasants, Princes & Pestilence||Stargazers||Off With Her Head!||Beast Creator||Pharaohs & Mummies||Where does our garden grow?|
|Year 6||The Frozen Kingdom||Revolution||Blood Heart||Hola Mexico!||Darwin's Delight||Tomorrow's World|