To understand and embrace our multi-cultural world.
'With languages, you are at home anywhere.'
At Bolsover Church of England School, we believe that learning a foreign language is a fundamental part of being a member of a multi-cultural society and provides an insight into other cultures. Through our high quality Languages curriculum (following the National Curriculum), all pupils are challenged to communicate and express their ideas, facts and feelings in another language, both orally and in writing. This will provide the foundations needed for learning further languages and following future work or leisure opportunities in other countries.
Learning a language inspires curiosity and deepens the understanding of the wider world. It should be seen as a life-long skill that opens up exciting avenues into exploring, embracing and respecting different cultures in our local, national and global communities. We aim to prepare pupils to participate in a rapidly changing world in which work and other activities are increasingly carried out in languages other than English. At Bolsover, we strive to develop pupils' confidence, fluency and love for the subject, with the hope that this provides the skills needed to embrace the wider world.
From their starting points, we aim for all children to access languages at Bolsover C of E Junior school. This will provide the foundations needed to support the transition into secondary school and beyond.
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied.
- BBC Bitesize - French
- BBC Teach - French
- BBC Teach - Virtually There - France
- Top Marks - French games
- Crickweb - French games
- Language Angels
- Top tips for learning French
- Online French games for adults and children
- Comptines pour enfants - nursery rhyme songs in French
- Children's library - online French books
- Monde des titounis - classic children's songs and stories
Gallery - Evidence in school